John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

I have received a juror subpoena failure to respond and now

I have received a juror subpoena failure to respond and now I am being called to some kind of assembly room and if I don't I will have to face a judge and fine will be assessed.
I did not respond to two other questionnaires and this is the reason I am getting it. My question is do I have to take it seriously? I had a court case several years ago and since then I have been traumatized by the whole thing. Even hearing about the court makes me be very scared. This is the reason I have been ignoring my previous questionnaires. I am also an orthodox Jew. Do I get exempt from this?
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. It is not a good idea to simply not show up to court when a subpoena is issued. If you do not show up, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest, which will result, depending on how upset the judge is, in anything from the police coming and getting you to to show up for court to you being put in jail for some time and some financial penalty.Your best bet is to go and explain to the judge that you had prior traumatic experience from serving as a juror and perhaps religious belief or commitments which you believe prohibit you from effectively serving as a juror.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The letter does not specify that there will an arrest or mention of a jail. It only speaks about fine assessment. I have looked up similar questions online and some say that they simply ignored and discarded the letter and some are even fake.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
It's doubtful to me you've been sent a fake letter telling you to go to the courthouse....who would have something to gain by you appearing before a judge? If you do not believe the letter is real then call the court clerk on independently (i.e., google the courthouse contact information and call them) and determine if it is real.

There are a variety of penalties a court may issue for failure to appear to jury duty and it is largely in the judge's discretion. You take a risk in not answering. If you're willing to take that risk and hope that no penalty, fine or warrant for your arrest will be issued then disregard it. These are your options and choices.
John, Attorney
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney.