N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

I found out on a county court web site in Minnesota,that it

I found out on a county court web site in Minnesota,that it possible for a married couple to dissolve their marriage through paperwork alone, that is, without either of them appearing before a judge in a hearing, under the following conditions:
a) Both spouses are in agreement on all issues.
b) Neither spouse has children.
c) Both spouses are willing to sign the appropriate forms in front of a notary.
I also did the same search in Iowa, and I think that the result was the same.
My supposed friend, who has been a professor in a Minnesota law school, and is currently a professor in an Iowa law school, tells me that it is not possible to find out whether the above is the case in Minnesota and/or in Iowa, except by doing a computer search. That is, the law concerning divorce cannot be researched through physical books, not even in a law school. Reliable research concerning the law on divorce is simply impossible without doing a computer search. Is this true?
I disagree with the professor. Access to a law library is all that is needed, not necessarily access to a computer.

Having access to a computer based legal research database like Westlaw or Lexis is nice, but it is not necessary as long as you have access to a decent law library.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you give me a rough estimate of how many U.S. states allow dissolution of marriage without a hearing before a judge but just by paperwork alone? My supposed friend the law school professor told me that there are very few places where paperwork alone is sufficient for a divorce. He suggested the venue of the Dominican Republic or Guam, and said that they are among the very few venues that allow paperwork only divorces.

I cannot research this question for every State but I believe that more than half of the States allow a summary disolution procedure where the marriage was of short duration, and there are not any children of the marriage and the parties are in agreement as to all property issues.

Thank you for the Excellent rating, and thank you very much for the bonus!