Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.

I have a 21 year old son who has a car in his name but has

I have a 21 year old son who has a car in his name but has a suspended license and no insurance. He's not supposed to drive but if he lives at home and gets in trouble with the car am I liable for potential damages?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, where he lives doesn't affect liability. Since the car is in his name, and he were to drive it, without a license or insurance, he would be solely responsible.

You don't have to worry about being liable if he were to get in trouble with the car.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had heard from another parent with a problem daughter that "if her head hits a pillow in your house every night" that he could be on the hook. This supposedly from a lawyer. Now I'm getting conflicting info. Are you certain about your answer?

Yes, I am entirely sure about my answer.

Your son is an adult and is liable for his own mistakes. (If he were under 18, it would be another matter, but he isn't.)

I'm not sure where this other parent is getting her information, but it's definitely wrong.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,