Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

A supposed friend of mine, who is a law professor specializing

A supposed friend of mine, who is a law professor specializing in Trusts and Estates, wrote a Last Will and Testament for me, leaving himself as the sole beneficiary. I was very ill at the time, and I didn’t think about whether it might be considered unethical. Recently someone told me that it is considered unethical in the legal profession. Is this true? If so, is there anyone to whom I could report this?

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.

RayAnswers :

My sympathy here for your situation and dilemma.You certainly can make a lawyer complaint here and have this investigated by the state.The state may sanction the lawyer if he acted unprofessionally in your situation.

RayAnswers :

Here is the contact information for Connecticut to do so.

RayAnswers :

Connecticut Lawyer Complaints

The Counsel Statewide Bar handles complaints about lawyers in Connecticut. To file a complaint about a lawyer in Connecticut: www.jud.state.ct.us

Lawyer Complaint Mailing Address
Counsel Statewide Bar
XXXXX Suite 2, Second Floor
East Hartford, CTNNN-NN-NNNNbr/>
Telephone
(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

RayAnswers :

If the lawyer here took advantage of you then certainly the state may sanction his license and take action.

RayAnswers :

The sanctions can run from reprimand to suspension to disbarment based on what the investigation uncovers here.

RayAnswers :

I would encourage you to file and have this investigated as you may have great facts if the lawyer acted unrpofessionally in preparing a will that left everything to himself and otherwise took advantage of your condition.

RayAnswers :

I appreciate the chance to assist you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

RayAnswers :

Thanks again , please let me know if you have more it is never a problem.

Customer:

I'm sorry, I didn't give all the facts. I was living in CT at the time that this lawyer wrote the will for me. Now I live in MN and the lawyer is a professor at an Iowa law school, and he resides in Iowa. The same lawyer advised me to lie to the IRS. And he misinformed me about the divorce laws in MN and in Iowa. He is not a member of the bar and does not practice. However, he is a member of the ABA (?), and he works in an important position in their revision of the model legislation for Trusts and Estates. He is also a professor in Iowa at a public university, and mayb

Customer:

Anyway, my question is to whom I should complain given these facts. And since he works at a public university in Iowa, is there a place that I could write to to complain about his conduct. Perhaps the regents of the university or the dean of the law school?

RayAnswers :

Well I would report this to the Iowa since it happened there.If he was not licensed they may sanction him because he was practicing law here from what you present.Thats an offense here.

RayAnswers :

Iowa
Norman G. Bastemeyer Iowa State Bar Association Committee on Professional Ethics and Conduct 521 East Locust Street Des Moines, IANNN-NN-NNNN
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNFax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Filing Method: Call for form
Anonymity: No

Customer:

He misinformed me concerning divorce laws to his great benefit. I am sure that he knew what the laws actually are, and he lied to me about them.

RayAnswers :

And you can also report him to his employer here/

RayAnswers :

Again he appears to have been practicing without a license to do so.

RayAnswers :

Certainly this needs to be looked into.

RayAnswers :

I wish you the best.And make sure you change and update your will here.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Thanks again for the ratings.If you get a customer survey I would also appreciate it if you would rate me and send it in.Thanks again for letting me be of service.