Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My sister is visiting the US for 3 weeks. I am concerned in

My sister is visiting the US for 3 weeks. I am concerned in case she has an accident and she need to be treated at a hospital. She is not a US citizen or resident and does not have US health insurance. I am also not rich and could not pick up her hospital bill nor would I want to become endebted to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars.

My questions, if she in an emergency at a hospital were to give my name as a US person that would assume the bill (without my consent), would I be liable for her bill?

What are her options to get medical care in case of an emergency?

Thank you for your question, Ray. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Did she come in via your sponsorship or did she visit on her own? I ask as that will tell me to your potential liability in this instance. thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, she is comming on her own. She has a turist visa.

Thank you for your follow-up.

That helps you tremendously. She CANNOT force you or compel you to be liable for her expense. Even if she gives your name to the hospital, until and unless you personally sign off, you are not responsible for her debts and expenses from treatment. If you are concerned about her medical care, contact medical insurers in the area for a short-term policy, have her sign up, and then she would be protected while she visits. But you, in this case, are absolutely not responsible in any way for her medical fees.

Good luck