Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I filed a law suit in Federal Court. I had 120 days to serve

I filed a law suit in Federal Court. I had 120 days to serve the defendants which expires on Friday. What can I do to ask for more time as health issues have prevented me from moving forward and during that time more issues have been discovered that I would need to change the original complaint. Do I have time and what forms would I need to submit.... if I have not served any of the defendants, can I refile and would I first need to send some form canceling the original complaint or is it better to just change what I have and request more time?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : Law long as your time to serve the defendant/s has not expired, you can file a simple motion for additional time to serve the parties, and it should be granted without any problem.
Kirk Adams : The only time you run into a problem is if the 120 day period expires. If that happens, you usually to refile the lawsuit.
Customer:

What form is used, I understand that only attorneys can file online, do I just find the form , fill it our and fedEx it ... I live 300 miles from the district court building and on disability so I ont be able to drive there.

Kirk Adams : I don't know that there's a form for this. I'll look. However, just a simple document labeled as "motion for enlargement of time" and asking for additional ______ days to serve the defendant be granted.
Kirk Adams : You can mail the motion to the court clerk.
Customer:

ok... is there a general rule about how many days I can ask as a max? Im looking at US District Court website and I don't see a form

Kirk Adams : You can ask for another 120 days.
Kirk Adams : Here's a sample motion: http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/motion-to-enlarge-time-to-serve-defendan-79619/
Customer:

perfect and if I was to ask for an attorney to be provided in the case would that be a different motion or can I add that to the motion to enlarge?

Kirk Adams : If this is a civil case, you won't be provided an attorney by the court - that's only done in criminal cases.
Kirk Adams : You can seek assistance from a local legal aid office or through the state bar association, but the court will not appoint one.
Customer:

ok. And I got the form. Thanks

Kirk Adams : Great!
Customer:

I appreciate your time and info

Kirk Adams : No problem. Please let me know if you need anything further.
Customer:

ok thanks

Kirk Adams : Sure
Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.