Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

My husband and I got home from vacation to discover that our

My husband and I got home from vacation to discover that our auto insurance was cancelled because my husbands license has been suspended due to tax issues. This was effective as of yesterday.

I discovered that I need to surrender the plates immediately. I assume that means my registration is now cancelled. The cars are in my name

What do I need to do to to get insurance for myself? Can I get a policy excluding him?

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

To answer your question directly, yes, you can get a policy that excludes your husband. Simply being husband and wife does not require that you share an insurance policy.

TexLawyer :

The cancellation of your insurance should not affect your vehicle registration. That is, you pay for your registration on a yearly basis and the registration is tied to the vehicle, not the driver specifically. For example, if someone else with insurance wanted to drive the vehicle, they could do so.

TexLawyer :

As far as surrendering your plates, typically that is done when a person moves out of state, not when their insurance lapses.

Customer: Sorry for the delay the reply button would not work. I had to log in again. So I don,t have to worry about a cancelled registration and going through the hassle of trying to register it again?
TexLawyer :

No, your registration should be valid, even if your insurance is not.

TexLawyer :

Those are separate issues.

Customer: OK thank you.
TexLawyer :

Do you have any questions?

Customer: Will some ins. Companies refuse me because of his license status
TexLawyer :

No, as long he isn't applying or you aren't trying to put him as a secondary driver on your vehicle(s).

Customer: Thanks that should answer my question
TexLawyer :

OK. Great. If I can't do anything else for you, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck!

Customer: One other question, I read somewhere that if the person resides in you home and has access to your vehicle that some companies will require you to list them.
TexLawyer :

They may require you to list them (that's up to them), but that should not be a reason to deny you coverage.

Customer: OK
Customer: Thank you I will sign off now.
TexLawyer :

OK. Good luck. Don't forget to "rate" my answer before you go.