Roger, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney

I am interested in possibly filing because of my debt obligations.

Customer Question

I am interested in possibly filing because of my debt obligations. Do you all handle bankruptsy cases? Someone had contaced me by email a couple of times when I had consulted an attorney through you all once about credit card debt.

Felita Gilmore
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
or XXX@XXXXXX.XXX ( I think this is the email address I used previously )
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist you with providing any information you need.
Kirk Adams : However, we cannot take on clients or represent anyone through this site. Instead, Just Answer experts are here to provide information regarding your situation. If you need assistance in that capacity, I'll be glad to help.
Kirk Adams : As for finding an attorney, the best resource to do that is to visit www.martindale.com and search for a bankruptcy attorney by location.
Kirk Adams : When you go to the site, you can click on "Find a Lawyer or Law Firm", and then you can enter your relevant information.
Kirk Adams : As for what to do, if your income is less than your monthly obligations, then that is a situation where bankruptcy should be considered.
Kirk Adams : It's a difficult decision to make, but bankruptcy certainly has its place and can be helpful in situations where one is truly in need of debt relief.
Kirk Adams : The best thing you could do is consult a local attorney and discuss your options given your specific debts, income, etc. USUALLY, a liquidation bankruptcy (chapter 7) will give you a fresh start and rid yourself of these debts.
Customer:

Thanks Kirk. I am a teacher with a load of debt. At the age of 54, I am not sure about which filing is the best? I have heard of chapter 7 and possibly another filing. Which one do you suggest that I contact an attorney about? Okay you have jusst answered my question.. Thanks alot for your advise.

Kirk Adams : The other main option would be a chapter 13.
Kirk Adams : This is a situation where you repay all of your secured debt (house payments, car payments, etc. - - other loans with collateral), and unsecured debts (credit cards, open accounts, etc.) are paid based on the amount of disposable income you have.
Kirk Adams : Generally, you get to keep all of your stuff, but you have to pay the debts over time.
Customer:

Okay, I will get an attorney and talk about those choices. Thanks for your expert advice!

Kirk Adams : Usually, you establish a payment plan that will allow you to repay the debts at a lesser monthly amount than you currently are - - this is done by extending the length of the repayment terms (not dropping the balance.
Roger, Attorney
Experience: Litigation Attorney