MyraB, Attorney
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.

If person A assaults person B, and person B does my file charges

If person A assaults person B, and person B does my file charges at the time of the incident, can person B still press charges 2 months after the fact?
Hello and thank you for your question.

Under NH law, charges of class A or B felony, are subject to a statute of limitation of six years. Suits involving official misconduct should be brought to court within two years.

Sexual assault and related offenses involving a minor are limited to 22 years after the victim's 18th birthday.

Misdemeanor charges must be brought within one year and violations based on the penal code must be brought within three months.

Therefore, a person would be able to pursue assault charges against another for an incident that happened two months ago. The person would make a report to the police who would conduct an investigation.

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.