Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

My husband and I own 8 1/2 acres of land. We have a home on

My husband and I own 8 1/2 acres of land. We have a home on one acre. Our son had a mobile home on another acre. When they sold their mobile home to purchase a house, they sold it to some friends. So we allowed them to keep the trailer on our land and they paid a lot rental fee to us. They eventually had to move to another they wanted to rent the trailer out. We were to meet the renters and have them sign a lot rental agreement. Also, the owners of the trailer were to meet them BEFORE they moved in to sign the necessary papers with them as well. It was set up for them to move in on July1, 2013 after meeting with all involved. Well, come to find out......they got in and moved in the 3rd week in June without anyone knowing. When confronted, my husband was told we would be paid by July came and went.....Then we were told August 5th. It came and went. My husband contacted the tenant and he was very vague with his answer. He called the next day and said he had "scrapped up scrap metal to sell and could pay us 150.00. which did not even cover the first month's rent. In the meantime, the couple that owns the trailer began eviction procedure through the court. This began after they sent them a letter requesting their removing themselves from their trailer was ignored. We were told he wasn't sure when he would be able to pay the rent on our land to catch it up. We advised him that we would not accept any money......we would prefer he move. ***We also had tried to get him to sign a lot rental agreement with not much luck. This was because he moved in before anyone knew. We finally got the signed agreement which verifies several parts that he has already broken. The rent is due on the 1st and late on the 10th. $150. on the 1st and $175.00 after the 10th. He owes for July, August and now September. And technically he owes for 1/2 of June. The owners of the trailer will be going to court on September 24 concerning their eviction. My questions is.....are we going to have a difficult time getting these non-paying tenants off our land?

Hello and thanks for submitting this question. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such problems with the tenant. You will have to file an eviction suit in court. Most counties usually have small claims courts where this is done routinely. They have forms that you can fill out yourselves so you don't need an attorney. There will be a hearing after which the judge will give them a few days to move. If they do not, then the county sheriff or court constable will physically remove them and their belongings. You do not have to send them any more letters or notices. Just file the suit.

I hope that this information is helpful. If not, and you need further information, please do not rate this Answer and just send me a Reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be compensated for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.