Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

i purchased a mobile home in 1997. the home is on a leased

i purchased a mobile home in 1997. the home is on a leased lot in a mobile home community. the community's management does periodic inspections of the home sites and notify tenants of violations to their rules so the may be corrected bythe offender.

last week i was told to paint my wheelchair ramp and the steps on my home. the steps are in the front of the home and a molded-in color that has been the same since before i purchased the home. the wheelchair ramp is in the rear of my home and was constructed the same week i moved here in 1997. it has a weathered-wood finish that has not changed in all these years.

is it within the rights of the management to demand changes to a condition they've accepted without comment for thesec16 years!

thanks for your help.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : Whether or not the park has a right to demand these things depends on what the lease agreement says.
Kirk Adams : If there's a provision that says the lot renter has a right to regulate and require these things, then it's likely that you would have to comply.
Kirk Adams : However, if there's no authority for this, then it's not likely that they could demand this of you.
Kirk Adams : The only thing the lot renter could do is terminate the lease if there's a ground to do so - - thus, you need to make sure what the lease requires of you/allows the renter to do and demand before taking a stance.
Customer:

i need to dig out the agreement. from the little business law i had in college, my understanding was accepting a condition over a prolonged period meant that they couldn't come back and demand changes... i'm off to find my lease agreement...

Kirk Adams : Well, all they have to do is claim that the condition has gotten to the point that it needs repair - - and now they want it changed.
Kirk Adams : Thus, you really can't use a "pattern and practice" claim for something like a condition that exists on property which needs upkeep, etc. because it can be easily defeated.
Kirk Adams : Thanks for allowing me to assist, and if you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.