Roger, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney

i purchased a mobile home in 1997. the home is on a leased

i purchased a mobile home in 1997. the home is on a leased lot in a mobile home community. the community's management does periodic inspections of the home sites and notify tenants of violations to their rules so the may be corrected bythe offender.

last week i was told to paint my wheelchair ramp and the steps on my home. the steps are in the front of the home and a molded-in color that has been the same since before i purchased the home. the wheelchair ramp is in the rear of my home and was constructed the same week i moved here in 1997. it has a weathered-wood finish that has not changed in all these years.

is it within the rights of the management to demand changes to a condition they've accepted without comment for thesec16 years!

thanks for your help.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : Whether or not the park has a right to demand these things depends on what the lease agreement says.
Kirk Adams : If there's a provision that says the lot renter has a right to regulate and require these things, then it's likely that you would have to comply.
Kirk Adams : However, if there's no authority for this, then it's not likely that they could demand this of you.
Kirk Adams : The only thing the lot renter could do is terminate the lease if there's a ground to do so - - thus, you need to make sure what the lease requires of you/allows the renter to do and demand before taking a stance.
Customer:

i need to dig out the agreement. from the little business law i had in college, my understanding was accepting a condition over a prolonged period meant that they couldn't come back and demand changes... i'm off to find my lease agreement...

Kirk Adams : Well, all they have to do is claim that the condition has gotten to the point that it needs repair - - and now they want it changed.
Kirk Adams : Thus, you really can't use a "pattern and practice" claim for something like a condition that exists on property which needs upkeep, etc. because it can be easily defeated.
Kirk Adams : Thanks for allowing me to assist, and if you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Roger, Attorney
Experience: Litigation Attorney
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.