Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I was involved in a minor fender bender today at an intersection.

I was involved in a minor fender bender today at an intersection. The car in front of me stopped and I ran into them. We both got out to inspect our bumpers. His car had little to no damage (perhaps some dirt and scratches) on the bumper. Mine has a small hole/tear in the bumper about an inch wide and some scratches. He said "let's just get out of here before the police show up" and indicated that the cars were fine. I was so shaken up, having never been in an accident before, that I agreed, since I was already late to work and believed that since I rear-ended him it was my fault. We did not exchange any information at all and I didn't get his name or license plate number. I couldn't even tell you what he looked like. I have been shaken driving all week because I got my first speeding ticket last week. What further action should I take?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that you were involved in an accident. However you are fine here, truly. Please permit me to explain why:

It is generally the law to exchange information if the parties are going to pursue repairs. In this situation both of you chose to pretend the accident never took place. Since there was no personal injury to either of you, there is no need to report it to the police. Furthermore, by striking him, it would indeed have been your fault had he decided to pursue and it would be your insurance covering the damage. This is not a situation of a 'hit and run' since you both stopped, inspected, and chose to go on (no crime was committed). It sounds as if the other person took pity and decided to not make it into a big deal. About the only thing you could do is contact your insurance company to simply report the accident and what happened. But I must warn you that doing so may give them an excuse to raise your rates even if no coverage was paid out, so be aware of the risks. Beyond that continue driving as you were.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.