How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1027
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a United States citizen who was born in Mexico. My parents

This answer was rated:

I am a United States citizen who was born in Mexico. My parents gave me a Spanish name. This name is XXXXX XXXXX have used all my life for and on all my legal documents, including Social Security, with no problem in all the States I've lived in, until I moved to California. In California anything DMV-related had to be in the name that is on my Birth Certificate. However, when we came back to live in the States and my birth record was translated from Spanish to English, for some reason unknown to my parents at the time, my birth name was also translated. Hence what I know as my name is XXXXX XXXXX name on my Birth Certificate. Up to today, I've had no real difficulty with this issue. However, one company that required the name that is on my CA DL to be the name used on the account, issued me a refund check using that name, my bank where I use my "real" name would not cash it. I called the bank and they are asking me to send them an affidavit stating I have two names. How do I get my "real" name back?

Thelawman2 :

In order to change your "official name" on your birth certificate and in official records in California, you will need to file a petition for a name change with your local court in CA. The following link can provide you with the step-by-step process that you will need to complete. You will receive a court date, after completing the process, in 6 to 12 weeks, at which the court will either approve or disapprove the proposal.


I do not see the link.

Thelawman2 :

Sorry, here it is:


Thank you. I appreciate the info. Seems to be only a time-consuming process.

Thelawman2 and 12 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions