Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law

I am a United States citizen who was born in Mexico. My parents

I am a United States citizen who was born in Mexico. My parents gave me a Spanish name. This name is XXXXX XXXXX have used all my life for and on all my legal documents, including Social Security, with no problem in all the States I've lived in, until I moved to California. In California anything DMV-related had to be in the name that is on my Birth Certificate. However, when we came back to live in the States and my birth record was translated from Spanish to English, for some reason unknown to my parents at the time, my birth name was also translated. Hence what I know as my name is XXXXX XXXXX name on my Birth Certificate. Up to today, I've had no real difficulty with this issue. However, one company that required the name that is on my CA DL to be the name used on the account, issued me a refund check using that name, my bank where I use my "real" name would not cash it. I called the bank and they are asking me to send them an affidavit stating I have two names. How do I get my "real" name back?

Thelawman2 :

In order to change your "official name" on your birth certificate and in official records in California, you will need to file a petition for a name change with your local court in CA. The following link can provide you with the step-by-step process that you will need to complete. You will receive a court date, after completing the process, in 6 to 12 weeks, at which the court will either approve or disapprove the proposal.

I do not see the link.

Thelawman2 :

Sorry, here it is:

Thank you. I appreciate the info. Seems to be only a time-consuming process.