Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My husband has worked with Activate ( a company that sells

Customer Question

My husband has worked with Activate ( a company that sells AT&T products) for a year. He just became eligible for benefits. He has basically been responsible for the store in Ashland,Or. Last week, his Supervisor told him that Jason(the representative for AT&T) was selling Activate to a new company, but his job would be secure as part of their agreement. Monday, the rep from the new company talked basically echoed those sentiments(having him sign papers). Yesterday, my husband was basically ripped apart by his current supervisor, but finally told to just stay loyal to him thru Sunday night, then the switchover occurs Monday. Today, the rep from the new company said they were hiring their own people (breaking the agreement). Now my husband is going from a full-time job in the process of benefits and seniority at a store that he's gone above and beyond with, close to home, to (possibly) a part-time job at another store that's a 1/2 hour away. Can the new company break the agreement like this? What responsibilities does a current employer have to its employees?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

That is a most terrible situation to be in, and I am genuinely sorry to hear that your husband is in this situation. Before I fully respond, this agreement that he signed, did it guarantee anything directly, such as a set period of time working for the company, a set wage, or anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They had him sign all of the forms, including W-4s. The wage agreement was a general sales wage (commission, etc).

Thank you for your follow-up.

It sounds as if they simply brought him on board as an 'at-will' employee. 'At-will' employment is something that can be modified or even terminated at any time without cause by either party. In other words the employer in this case can change their mind and offer a different position or terminate outright, which is equated to the same right that your husband would have in giving notice and quitting to go work somewhere else. An employer cannot make this decision due to factors that are forbidden under law, such as based on age, gender, race, religion, national origin, creed, or disability if any. But if such factors are not present, and the employee did not have a contract limiting such termination, the employer is free to modify terms, even if that modification disfavors the employee. I truly wish I had a different answer for you, but an employer here is under no legal obligation to keep their work since the contract provided did not provide any guarantees.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not happy that I can't go in and edit out names and details that I don't necessarily want public. This whole situation is pretty messed up and I don't want to have my husband blamed for concerns I have. I guess my question should be more geared towards the fact that he has been with the current company for a year and carrying the employees over was part of the contract agreement. The representative has referred to how he's breaking the agreement and hiring his own people.

Thank you for your follow-up.

I can most definitely understand your frustrations. However that is technically a breach of contract that the company is having with the previous entity, so it would be up to that entity to potentially file suit and seek recourse. Your spouse, as he did not have a contract that guaranteed specific benefits, cannot really sue for something he didn't have before. The new company essentially 'steps into the shoes' of the first, they take over the same contracts and same obligations but they also obtain the same rights. If the prior company had your spouse as an 'at will' employee with no promised benefits, likewise the new company can do the same. I truly wish this were an easier situation, and as someone who's been through layoffs myself, I do empathize. But what the employer is doing here is not really a violation or breach of terms.

Good luck.