Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Does Illinois have a law that makes parents responsible for

Does Illinois have a law that makes parents responsible for the actions of minor children?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

A parent is generally not liable for the torts of his or her child based solely upon the parental relationship. Lott v. Strang, et al., 312 Ill. App. 3d 521, 523-24, 727 N.E.2d 407, 409 (4th Dist. 2000) (citing Bishop v. Morich, 250 Ill. App. 3d 366, 370, 621 N.E.2d 43, 46 (1st Dist. 1993).

However, Illinois does have an exception under 740 ILCS 115/1. Called the PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY LAW, a parent MAY be responsible for "wilful or malicious acts" of the child. The cap for damages is at $20,000, and $30,000 if there is more than one occurrence.

The whole law may be found here.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)