ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My husband is employed in Texas and we are staying here. The

My husband is employed in Texas and we are staying here. The company he works for is based in another state. We still own our home in the other state and travel there quite frequently. How will that affect our taxes?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Just to be clear, you're going to be residing in Texas, or residing in Arkansas?

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?

ScottyMacEsq :

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response. Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

ScottyMacEsq :

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. Once you respond to my follow up question, I will respond as soon as I can. Please note that I may be assisting other customers or otherwise out of the office (depending when you respond). Thank you.

Customer:

We will be residing most of the time in Texas. We go home to Arkansas about every three weeks to stay there for four or five days to take care of property and such.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you. And to be clear, all of the money that he earns will be earned in Texas? There's not going to be any work (and consequently money) earned in Arkansas?

ScottyMacEsq :

Assuming that you do not have any income from Arkansas, you're not going to have any income tax liability there. A person is a nonresident of the State of Arkansas if he or she did not have a domicile in Arkansas at any point during the tax year. However, an Arkansas return must be filed if the taxpayer had any taxable income from an Arkansas source regardless of the amount. A domicile is the place the taxpayer intends to have as his or her permanent home and is the place the taxpayer intends to return in the case of temporary absence. A taxpayer only has one domicile and does not change domiciles until the new place he or she is living is the place the taxpayer intends to stay permanently. Visiting is not establishment of a domicile.

Customer:

We did live in Arkansas until June.

ScottyMacEsq :

I see. In that case, you're going to still need to file a tax return, check "part year resident" on the return, and your taxes will be calculated based upon the time that you were earning wages in Arkansas.

Customer:

OK thank you.

ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!