Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

is there a statute of limitations on suing someone for money

is there a statute of limitations on suing someone for money owed in the state of New Jersey?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The statute of limitations is six years for most contracts not involving the sale of goods, including credit card agreements. For the sale of goods under the Uniform Commercial Code, it's four years. The statute may be tolled if a person fraudulently conceals facts that would allow the plaintiff to discover the cause of action. The statute also doesn't run if the defendant is not a New Jersey resident, or leaves New Jersey for an extended period of time after the statute begins to run. This is to prevent people from refusing to pay a debt, then moving to another state until after the statute of limitations has expired.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.