Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

my ex moved to massachusetts from new hampshire....am i better

my ex moved to massachusetts from new hampshire....am i better off filing for divorce in new hampshire or massachusetts....(she moved in 2009 we have one child between us)
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

Massachusetts and New Hampshire are both marital property (not community property) states, so there's likely not much difference in filing either place - - property division, etc. should be very similar. Also, the age of majority for child support is the same for both states - - 18 - - so that wouldn't make any difference either.

From a convenience standpoint, it's much better for you to file in your home county and state. It will cost you much less to get it done, and you won't have to miss as much work to appear in court, etc. Thus, from that perspective, it would be much better to file at home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

?? as i understand it, Massachusetts changed its laws regarding child support...she filed in mass because of the change...the minimum as it was told to me is 21 yrs old, if they don't go to college, and up to 26 years old if they do go to college??

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
The general age for child support to end is 18 under Mass law, but it can extend to 23 IF the child is still in college or dependent.

That's likely even a better reason to file in NH.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok...she already filed (and receives) child support through massachusetts...can i still file in NH for the divorce?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Yes - - you can file n the state of residence for the marriage, your current state of marriage or your ex's state of marriage. Either state would have jurisdiction.
Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters