Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My husband has credit cards in his name and has accrued thousands

My husband has credit cards in his name and has accrued thousands of dollars in debt. If he dies am I responsible for repaying them. Thanks Deena
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My answer very much depends on where you both reside. Are you located in North Carolina or elsewhere? Please advise so I can look up the statutory authority and provide you with the best answer that I can. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
North Carolina

Thank you for your patience.

I do have some positive news here. In North Carolina the surviving spouse is NOT liable for the debt unless that spouse is listed jointly on the credit card accounts. But the surviving spouse does have a legal obligation to inform the credit card companies of the death of the spouse, and then close out all of the open credit card accounts. That would not make the spouse liable for the debt, but it is a means to ensure that no further charges are possible.

Good luck!