Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My daughter hit the rear end of an automobile in July 2012.

My daughter hit the rear end of an automobile in July 2012. She and the driver exchanged information ( no police were involved ) and my daughter waited to hear from the other party regarding an estimate for repair. 13 mos. later we receive two estimates (319.09 and 414.63 ) from Mr. Valdez, the other driver, who also happens to be an attorney and request my daughter to review said estimates then contact him for further discussion.

My question is what are my daughters legal obligations? Do we just send this person a check? We have tried contacting him through the number he provided but always end up in voice mail.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I happen to be a licensed New Jersey professional.

That is a good question. Are the estimates accurate? Did she actually hit the other vehicle and cause the damage as defined? If yes, then your daughter is liable for damage, but sending a check without anything further is somewhat unwise--your daughter would need to pay for damage but in exchange for payment (If the estimates are valid) she would need to request a letter from the other party stating that this was a settlement for the accident, and that the other party will not pursue any further civil or criminal options going forward with this claim.

Good luck.