Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.

In 2011, I joined efforts with a couple of people to try to

In 2011, I joined efforts with a couple of people to try to set up a non profit animal rescue. I donated 3 dog pens that we used. A few months later the person who headed up this rescue decided to call it quits before we ever reached non profit status and the organization fell apart. I took 2 the dog pens and left 1 for the care of the few remaining dogs that had yet to be placed. I want my3rd dog pen back for this person is refusing to let me have it and is using it as her own personal dog pen. She is no longer in the dog rescue business and says that I have no right to get it back. Can I take my dog pen back since the animal rescue failed and no longer exists? I donated them to the animal rescue organization, not to that person for her own personal use.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you donated the pens to the rescue organization on the condition that the organization achieve non-profit status, then you would be entitled to receive the gift back.

Such a gift then becomes contingent upon that condition being fulfilled, so then you would have the right to have it returned to you since that condition never went through. (This is why people can sue for the return of engagement rings if an engagement falls through).

Since the animal rescue no longer exists, you have the right to get the pen back. However, it's important to note that the police wouldn't get involved in this dispute, since it is considered civil, so you would have to sue for return of the pen or it's reasonable value if you want to get it back.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!