Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

The church I pastor is holding a 5k race in a rural Pennsylvania

The church I pastor is holding a 5k race in a rural Pennsylvania location. the local township is listed as an additional insured by our insurance carrier. now the township wants us to sign a "Hold Harmless" agreement. being a small country church we have very limited resources and our "real estate is owned by the denomination." what are our risks signing such a document?

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

The professional you request is not online so I will assist you with this issue today

The Hold Harmless is only going to apply to situations in which the Township is not a contributing factor to any injury.

For instance, if there is a huge pothole that develops during the race and, Lord forbid, swallows up the runners, they still would be able to bring action against the Township. The agreement only means that your church is holding harmless the Township from any liability in a situation that might arise if the church or the organizers of the event are negligent in any way.