Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

hi, thank you for the previous answer. i have been a registered

Customer Question

hi, thank you for the previous answer. i have been a registered representative for a long time. i have always maintained proffesionalism and integrity. i had never had an arbitration. however, i did have two settlements for two proposed arbs. i was pressered and told i had to sign promissory notes. i only did so ultimately because my boss threatened to bury me if i challenged him. the "debt" in the notes was a settlement. i never borred any monies. since i was under fear and stress or duress, am i responsible to pay these fully or partially, or nothing?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you, but need a bit more information, if you do not mind,

1. In what industry are you a registered representative ?

2. Why did your boss pressure you to sign promissory notes if you never received the money that is reflected in the note ?

3. For what purpose was the note signed ?

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. i am in the scurities industry
2. he had to pay the monies as a settlement to a client as opposed going the full length of an arbitration and possibly losing more.

3. my boss says the firm doesn't suffer losses...i do

4. did he insisit on my signing this note because i don't have to pay and he took advantage of me? in my industry, the one thing you don't want is to have your liscenses marked. ie: series 7, 63 , 4 etc. if the firm terminates and enters anything negative as to why, this is considered a "mark". any marks can delay employment elsewhere as you may be considered "risky" to hire . please answer my question. i am all stressed out. thank you again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi andrea, anything yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

andrea, ther wasn't any place to rate your service. why?

Your manager has put you in a very difficult position telling you to either sign the note, or your employment file will be blemished with something that the manager would write on your records

If the loss suffered by the client was the fault of the firm, there is no reason you should pay the note. If the note was already given to the client, then the client will expect payment. If the fault was not yours, and it was your boss that made the mistake, you should not pay the note. You should bring this matter to the attention of someone within the firm that has greater authority than your boss because that is the only way that you will be able to get out of paying the note, and there is no reason why you should take the blame and pay for someone else's mistake. The firm should have Errors and Omissions insurance coverage, so even your boss would not have to pay, he just wants to put the blame for this mistake on you and keep his record clean. You really should get this straightened out by someone higher up in your firm because the mistake will go down on your record the way your boss has it worked out.

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney

Thank you for the Excellent Service rating, and the bonus, I appreciate it greatly, If you have questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question, like this,

"For Andrea .......... "

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi andrea..................this has bothered me. in actuality, you didn't answer my question. i wanted to know if the promissory note can be dismissed if i was coerced and minipulated , and in a state of duress whrn i signed it. please answer this.

Hi, Wayne,

The promissory note will appear valid on its face so, it is up to you to raise the issue of duress. If you do not bring this to anybody's attention, you are liable for its payment. Ignoring it will not invalidate your obligation to pay the note. I apologize if I was not clear on this. That is why I had stated the following in my previous Answer,

"...If the note was already given to the client, then the client will expect payment. If the fault was not yours, and it was your boss that made the mistake, you should not pay the note. You should bring this matter to the attention of someone within the firm that has greater authority than your boss because that is the only way that you will be able to get out of paying the note .........."

If you need further clarification, please let me know and I will be glad to explain further,

ANDREA