William B. Esq.
William B. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

How to evict a professional squatter?

How to evict a professional squatter?
Expert:  William B. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with this unfortunate situation.

To ensure that this person is evicted you will need to prepare for the upcoming trial (prepare evidence of non-payment, and ensure that you are prepared for any defenses they have claimed - if they raise any issues regarding problems with the house, be prepared to show that the home is in good condition (photos are very helpful, you can get access on 24 hours notice to obtain them), if you want, you can get a home inspector to review the home - I have used an inspector for those cases where the tenants are especially litigious, as an inspector can be used as an expert witness and give testimony in your favor).

Once the trial is complete and you have a judgment of possession in your favor, you can get a writ of eviction. Get the constable to serve it. Usually constables will give on service as a "courtesy" and the second service will be a "forcible eviction" where the constable will appear at the premises and you will be permitted to hire movers to actually remove all of their belongings and place them at the property line (on the sidewalk or along the road).

While you will have to incur these costs upfront, and may not get them back due to the difficulty in collections, you will at least get these individuals out of your property. (Remember to include the costs in your judgment though, even if collections may be a long shot, your judgment will continue to accrue interest, and it may pay off one day).

I hope the above is helpful, please let me know if you have any questions. If you are very concerned about this matter, I would recommend using a civil litigation attorney to help you with the trial phase of this, but it is not required.

Thank you for using our service, and please do not forget to rate my answer once you are satisfied so that I may receive compensation. I do wish you the very best of luck with this, and again, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
William B. Esq., Attorney
Experience: Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.