How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a small company incorporated in NH. Several years ago,

This answer was rated:

I own a small company incorporated in NH. Several years ago, I and two employees moved to Florida although the business all passes through the NH office. I have been paying unemployment tax to the state of NH and I now have to lay off at least one Florida employee. How do they go about collecting enemployment?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The employee would need to contact the agency in the state where they reside, which would be Florida. They would need to disclose that they worked for an entity that paid taxes in a different state, and then the agency itself would contact the other state and pursue a portion of the funds as a means to pay for part of the benefits. The checks would still come from Florida, but the funds would be both from Florida and New Hampshire based on your employee's employment history and eligibility.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I wrong to pay it to NH instead of Florida? (Moving forward.)

Thank you for your follow-up, and you are most welcome.

To be honest, that was not the correct place to pay tax. You generally have to pay employment tax based on where the employee is located in, and if they reside in Florida and work there, that is where taxes should be paid for wages--other taxes still get paid to the state where you are incorporated in.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions