Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

My insurance lapsed? My tags are revoked. What can I do to

My insurance lapsed? My tags are revoked. What can I do to drive my vehicles to work? Thanks in advance.
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 35 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

I am not sure I understand your question. If your insurance lapsed, you cannot drive. Likewise, you need to turn in your tags. Of course, if you obtain new insurance, you will be ok. So please state your specific question. thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It lapsed. I have since the lapse bought another policy with a different company. I have the money to pay the DMV fees, but do not know if they will accept it at this point. Please advise.

Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

Who revoked the tags? Were you pulled over by the police? Were you ticketed for driving with expired lapsed tags?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not been pulled over. I have not been ticketed. I went to the DMV website and it said my tags had been revoke. I also received a letter that if I didn't contact the DMV by 13-Sept-2013, that enforcement will arrive to take the tags off of my vehicles.

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
You should contact the DMV to explain that you have gotten new insurance and to have your tags reinstated. You will most likely have to provide proof of insurance along with a reinstatement fee.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
You might be subject to a fine of $50 to $150 and the restoration fee may cost $50.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got proof of Insurance. I got the money to pay the fines. My question is can I keep my tags without turning them in?

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
Possibly, but you need to show the proof of insurance to the DMV to ensure that they are satisfied and no longer are revoking the tags. They need to restore them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tags are revoked as of 08/29/13. The next step to keep car on the road is what I am searching for?

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
The tags may have been revoked, but you can call the DMV and explain that you let the insurance lapse by mistake and that you would like to reinstate the registration of your car. They may state that your tags are revoked for 30 days and there is nothing to do, but they might also state that as long as you have proof of insurance and may all the fees, then they can reissue your tags.
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience: Attorney-at-Law