Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Please kindly advise, may I sue for libel on Facebook, a former

Please kindly advise, may I sue for libel on Facebook, a former friend sent me messages with offensive and racist content. I can prove her identity and messages. I live in Florida, she lives in different state - Georgia.
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am very sorry to hear you had a falling out with a friend. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Did she make the false statements to others or just to you? Do you have evidence of the false statements? Were they statements of opinion or fact?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Tina,

Thank you for your response.

She made false statements only to me, or as far as I know.

I do have evidence, the statements sound as fact, not as an opinion.

Thank you

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying this for me, Anna.

A claim of slander or libel (defamation) cannot typically be pursued unless the false statements are made to a third party. Making the statements to you, although they may really sting because you used to be friends, would not typically rise to the level of defamation since that tort action is meant to address damages caused by false statements which are made to others. If she only made the statements to you, a court would typically find that you have not stated a claim for which relief can be granted.

I'm sorry, but if she does make the false statements to others and they are false statements of fact which she should know are false, then that normally would support a cause of action for libel or slander depending on whether the statements are verbal or in writing.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your clear answer, Tina!

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Anna, and good luck with this.

Please remember to rate my service so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you very much!