Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I hired an attorney to represent me in a divorce. I wanted

I hired an attorney to represent me in a divorce. I wanted her help in settling through mediation. She did nothing (I had already filed) & I was notified our divorce would be settled in court, so I withdrew. She will not provide any billing information, account for fees or address any return of my $3000 retainer balance. I was told by her billing office that my file is frozen & I am not to be given any information. I live in Michigan. This just does not seem right.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You are absolutely correct....this is not right! What you want to do is raise the stakes on her so that she knows that not complying with your demands is going to cost far more in the end than simply refunding your money and returning your file now. You should send her a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and demanding she return your file and refund your money in total within a short specified period of time. Inform her that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to: i) file a formal ethics complaint with the state bar association, and ii) file a suit against her for your damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as deceptive trade practice, legal malpractice, gross negligence, and bad faith causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your actual damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your ethics complaint and your suit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I will give this a try!

You're very welcome...it's my pleasure to help! Have a great day!