Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I signed a contract with a hotel to pay for my daughters wedding. I

I signed a contract with a hotel to pay for my daughters wedding.

I agreed to pay costs of the wedding and that they could be charged to my credit card.

Subsequently, the grooms family agreed to pay for the liquor. The hotel charged the estimate $10,000 to his credit card and said that he was now agreeing to pay for the liquor.

There were 80 people who consumed alcohol at the wedding. The hotel told us we went over the estimate by $8,000. They did not provide any backup for this. Hotels often show corks or provide other proof. The bartender told our wedding planner that we had been very light drinkers. The father-in-law disputed the extra charges and so the hotel charged the balance to me. They said that is their right. I paid the hotel over $60,000 for this wedding so I do pay my bills. However, I do not think I should be responsible for the additional costs for alcohol- both because the hotel agreed to accept the fatherinlaw as responsible for the alcohol and the hotel provided no backup. Additionally it is improbabe that the number of people attending could consume the amount the hotel reports. Especially because no one seemed drunk and the dance floor was always crowed.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. The hotel doesn't get to simply unilaterally impose an aggregate charge of $18,000 for liquor without substantiation. That comes to $225 per person with 80 people drinking, which is ridiculous. First, in the end, the groom's family is responsible for any excess since the groom's family agreed to pay. But, second, and more importantly, both you and the groom's family should raise the stakes on them so that they know that not complying with your demands is going to cost them far more in the end than simply giving you your refund now. You should send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the facts and the numbers and demanding that they substantiate the bill to your satisfaction and then to refund any unsubstantiated amounts in total within a short specified period of time. Inform them that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against them for your damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as deceptive trade practice and fraud actions, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, in my experience, simply filing the suit is typically all you need to do to resolve this outside of court because most of the time, once served with a summons they are being sued, the debtor will want to settle out of court to avoid any risk of a fraud judgment being on their permanent record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: