Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

iMy ex-girlfriend went into my personal and work email accounts

Customer Question

iMy ex-girlfriend went into my personal and work email accounts without my permission, and forwarded some of my private communications to her own email account. That's how I caught her; I saw two "sent" messages to her email address that I did not send to her. Could this be a possible claim or counterclaim in a civil lawsuit in Illinois?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Can you please tell me how did your ex-girlfriend was able to get into your personal and work email account? Did you ever provide her with a password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She used my tablet, which was at home, while I was at work. I never gave her permission to use the tablet and certainly never gave her permission to read my emails.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your follow up.

What actual direct damages did you suffer as a result of this emails being forwarded to other parties?

What evidence do you have that it was in fact your ex-girlfriend who used your tablet to log into your email accounts and forwarded the emails to third parties?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went into my "sent" box one day and saw two emails sent from my work email account to her email address. I didn't remember sending her any emails that day, so I opened them up. Both were very private emails to friends. No damages other than my privacy being invaded. I would never think to bring a lawsuit over this, but she is threatening to sue me for an unrelated matter and I wanted to know if her bad acts could be the basis for a counterclaim.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, unless such unauthorized access to your email accounts by your ex-girlfriend has caused you direct damages that can be shown and proven in court, I am afraid that someone in a position similar to yours would not have a legal claim for such act by your ex.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping for, but the law is very clear on this subject and I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answer, even when the answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions for me.

Dear Michael,

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?