Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Hello. I bought my manufactured home in a senior mobilehome

Hello. I bought my manufactured home in a senior mobilehome park in Santa Rosa. It is privately owned. We are allowed 2 pets (cats or dogs) but can't walk them in the park. I have a chih/fox terrier dog. He is an emotional support dog and I have a letter from my doctor. I suffer from Anxiety attacks and Panic Disorder. Under the ADA, would I be allowed to walk my little dog in the mobilepark?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The answer very much depends if you dog is considered to be your 'pet' or if he is legally deemed to be a 'service animal'. If the former, then pets can be denied the right to be in the park. But if your dog is a 'service animal' then the animal can be with you wherever you choose to travel, including parks. Provided he is a 'service animal' under his assignation, then you would be able to walk your dog in the park based on that legal definition, since you are then technically not walking him, but he is lawfully accompanying you around the premises.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is an emotional support dog which my dr. approved. We live in a little community with common areas and I would like to take him on walks around it.

Thank you for your follow-up.

An 'emotional support' dog is not quite a service animal. Have your doctor help you file an application for him to designate him as a formal 'service' animal, which would then provide you with the necessary ability to justify having the dog iwth you wherever you choose to travel, including within the park. Until that designation is obtained, however, the park can still deny you the right to have him with you.

Good luck.