David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
Experience:  JD with Distinction, Admitted to practice in California
19551178

I live in a town house- there are about 8 homes in the row,

I live in a town house- there are about 8 homes in the row, all connected. the neighbor on the far end has alot of children. some of which dont like me. they have egged my car, paintballed it, and now they have shot it with bbs. i have filed a report with the police each time but without someone actually seeing them in action, the police can go no further. i have seen them shoot the bb gun from the second story window into the woods but not at my car. i am very frustrated. do you have any advice, aside from setting up cameras...

David C. Garner :

Hello, are you there?

David C. Garner :

Hello......

Customer:

hi, im here

David C. Garner :

Ok...good.

David C. Garner :

First of all, I feel your frustration. I have been in a situation like this before.

David C. Garner :

The unfortunate thing (and please don't shoot the messenger) is that absent a witness or other solid proof, there is not a lot you can do.

David C. Garner :

I would suggest looking into to a camera system - a good one.

David C. Garner :

It might be a bit costly, but in the end, good video would be priceless and probably permanently end your problem with a good feeling of vindication and revenge to boot.

David C. Garner :

If you go that route, I would make sure to have a number of cameras at a number of angles, including things they would not immediately suspect.

David C. Garner :

Sooner or later you will catch one of them and that will be it.

David C. Garner :

Feel free to comment here. We want your imput.

Customer:

ok. i have an apt. with adt this thursday. i was just hoping there was something else that could be done without spending alot of money. do you think that i could take them to civil court with the circumstantial evidence i have currently? such as seeing them shooting the bb gun from a window.

David C. Garner :

You could, but I don't think it would be successful. Circumstantial takes a lot, and the mere fact that they have a BB gun does not mean they did it. If you can arrange it, I would make sure to have a camera pointed at that window.

David C. Garner :

I work in criminal law, and one of the biggest problems is the gulf between knowing and proving.

Customer:

ok. anything else you tell me?

David C. Garner :

The only other thing I can think of is if you have neighbors across the street you are friendly with, see if they would let you mount a wireless camera there that points back toward you place. Outside of that, absent a lot more proof, I think you would be unsuccessful with the police/courts, at least at this time.

Customer:

thats disappointing, but i understand. thank you for your time and advice

David C. Garner :

Take care. Be persistent. You will get them.