Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Is it legal in United States (new York)to buy a used book,

Is it legal in United States (new York)to buy a used book, vintage or modern, remove the prints, and resell them online.

Thank Naomi

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The general answer is 'yes', it is legal to resell used books, but there are some exceptions since the answer does not fully take into account these exceptions:

1. If a used book has no front cover, it is considered to be thrown out by the publisher, and void for resale. Such books cannot lawfully be sold, even if they are otherwise 'new' and unread.

2. If a used book is from a different country and this same book is published here, the publisher may consider the resale to be infringement and seek legal action. This is most pertinent to educational and college textbooks since publishers often have different price points from country to country, and may ban and bar resale here.

3. If there is a contractual limitation to resell, it likewise cannot be sold.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's not what I'm asking though,I know it's ok to resell books, I want to know if it's legal to remove artwork/prints from new or vintage books and resell just the art/work print itself

For example,I bought a used book for $20, it had 42 butterfly prints in it. I tore out the prints and sold them for $6 each on ebay. I'm wanted to make sure this was legal

Thank you for your follow-up.

Oh, I see, now I understand. Provided you define where you obtained the prints from and give the prints (and the book) the copyright, you are free to resell. This is not a violation, you can take apart something that you on and sell portions of it provided you describe where you got the portions from. This isn't illegal.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a million! gonna give you the highest possible rating ,have a great week

Glad to hear it, and good luck to you. Have a wonderful week yourself!