Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My friend bought a car yesterday. On the way home he was pulled

My friend bought a car yesterday. On the way home he was pulled over and the police told him that the car had thousands in unpaid parking tickets. He cannot afford to pay for them. Can he junk the car at a junk yard and not have to pay the tickets?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, from whom was this vehicle purchased from, and did he know that it had a history of unpaid tickets? Has he considered giving the car back to the seller?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was a rndom seller. I believe he knew but did not disclose it. He no longer answers his calls.

Thank you for your follow-up.

One more question if I may. How much was the car when purchased?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He paid $1,400.00. The seller did not sign the pink slip. But the buyer did. The buyer also signed a receipt that the seller kept and did not give him a copy.

Thank you for your follow-up.

This whole transaction appears to be questionable at best and fraudulent at worst Not signing the pink slip can permit the seller to claim that no sale took place. Plus, failing to disclose the tickets is intentional misrepresentation, which by itself would be grounds to demand a voiding (cancelling) the contract. I would suggest that your friend strongly consider going to small claims court and filing suit against him for the return of the funds and for breach of contract based on bad faith misrepresentation. He should strongly consider suing to get his money back, and to return the title back to him. The reason is that even if the vehicle is parted, title would remain active and valid until all fines are paid, and if the car was transferred to someone new, that new person becomes responsible for the fines. It is very much in your friend's best interest to seek to reverse this sale or these fines and tickets would follow him around until they are finally paid off.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can he junk the car at a junk yard and not pay the tickets?

Thank you for your follow-up.

He would not be able to since the title would remain active. He can junk the car but it won't remove the tickets from record, and if he is listed as the last owner on title, the tickets would belong to him. It is far more prudent to try to reverse the transaction, and that is why I suggested small claims.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does his signature as the buyer on the pink slip make him the last owner on the title?

Thank you for your follow-up.

Yes, it does. If the other seller does not challenge the sale, the pink slip shows a change of ownership, and likewise a transfer of the responsibilities for all of the tickets filed against that VIN.

Good luck.