Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

I have an abandoned vehicle in my driveway. My sons friend

Customer Question

I have an abandoned vehicle in my driveway. My son's friend left it here several months ago. He has made no attempt to recover the car even though I have spoken to him several times. He has moved out of the state and no intention of returning any time soon. In the meantime I am stuck with the car. I do have the title, he left it here. This has been going on since early March of this year. He refuses to answer any calls, I'm not even sure if he has the same phone number. What legal right do I have to either sell it or have it towed?
Thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If the car is in your driveway without permission, then the owner has created an "involuntary bailment" with you being the bailee. An involuntary bailment is when one party, the bailor, leaves personal property in the possession of the bailee without permission or consent. The bailor can return and take possession of the property at any time before the bailee terminates the bailment and the property is considered abandoned. A bailee can terminate an involuntary bailment by giving notice to the bailor that they need to come get the property or it will be considered abandoned and disposed of.

In order to legally terminate the bailment, you have to give written notice to the bailor at their last known address. If you can find out where the kid lives now, that is good. If not, then ask your son to see if he knows where he used to live and send it there. I would send it certified mail as well as first class mail in case they have a forwarding address with the post office. State that you are terminating the bailment and the bailor has 7 days to remove the property or you will consider it abandoned and dispose of it. On day 8 if it is still there, you can dispose of it as abandoned by selling it as scrap, giving it away or having it towed.