Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I work for a construction company as a carpenter that just

I work for a construction company as a carpenter that just closed their doors. I now have a check that bounced and I still have 52 hours they didn't pay. I wanted to put a lien on the building I was working on but was told I can't lien a public building. Is there something else I can do.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to hear this has happened to you. Unfortunately, government property cannot be subject to a contractor's lien. However, all government contractors are supposed to have construction bonds when they take out these contracts so you need to find out who the bond company was on the project, which is a matter of public records with the contract, and you need to file a claim with the bond company for your wages due. You can also sue the construction company for wages and seek to place liens on their property/equipment for the wages.

These are your options. The bond company should be your first step and then seeking to place liens on the construction company's equipment if they own any.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.