Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I have another avenue that looks more promising, the local

Customer Question

I have another avenue that looks more promising, the local news station seems to be interested in the story since it involves our major power company and a driver with an impaired driver history, not to mention the other infractions, all driving. Their investigative Dept, has to check it out first, look at the actual records and when they go to the company a response may be swifter and more effective than the justice system would offer in this case. Whatever happens, happens, I guess. Thank you
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your follow-up and thank you again for requesting me to assist.

My apologies but I as yet still do not understand what you are seeking to accomplish here. Could you please explain?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because a driver of an electrical power truck who has a history of DWI and numerous other infractions, all driving, is out driving on our streets, in usually very bad weather, and I do not think it's safe for anyone else who happens to be driving on the same streets.

I see, so you are essentially trying to do this as a public service?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES, I have known about this only for a little while because it was kept from me. When I did find out I began to think about the others on the streets and also how long this has been going on. I also thought that if he is alowed to drive these trucks with a record like that, how many others are they allowing to do the same ? Do you think it's fair to others who happen to be driving on the same streets, often in snow, ice and other bad weather conditions ?

You cannot start a criminal action based on 'public good'. As you yourself are not a victim or a member of law enforcement, you have no standing to demand action. You can publicize the behavior if the media choose to publish it for you, or appeal to the employer, but it is ultimately the employer's liability (as they would pay and suffer if he causes an accident or worse). And as he has not violated any laws based on the police department, they do not have to pursue this either. What you can do is potentially appeal to the state attorney general's office and see if they can obtain oversight over the police department to see if they violated any rules, but that is likewise at their discretion. Police have the discretion to charge, and the DA has the discretion to likewise charge and prosecute, but an individual cannot push for charges. That can at times be done by public opinion and with mixed results. Going via media is likely the better bet.

Good luck.