Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

In follow up, I just remembered when asked my boss if he had

In follow up, I just remembered when asked my boss if he had surveillance cameras and he said no, he also told me that the warning security sign outside in front of our office was fake and placed there just to keep anyone from breaking in. I did not recognize the security company name on the sign, and it appears to be fake. So, my question is, can he say that the "fake" sign out front was enough to place me on notice of surveillance cameras in place even though he told me there were none?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question and thank you again for requesting me to assist you further.

Hmm, that is a tough question. Does that note state that the premises are under surveillance? If so, that is sufficient that you were placed on notice since the attorney is under no further obligation to prove or disprove the facts to you over whether or not there are cameras on premises that can take images. I do apologize, truly, but in that case he may have an 'out'.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Even if he said the sign was "fake" and that there were no surveillance cameras. If so, then I was thinking about typing a memo to him to memorialize our conversation in which he advised me he did not have surveillance cameras. Would that be sufficient, or is there another way to approach the situation that would better cover me and keep him from violating my privacy?

Kelly,

Even if he claimed the sign was not real, since you have no evidence or claim that would corroborate those words, what would govern is what exists, namely the sign. Now, if you could get him to agree in writing that he is not taping and that the sign is not valid, then you have a potential claim, but I must be realistic and state that no good, or even mediocre attorney would agree to limit himself in such a way. As he does not owe you a duty to sign off, I honestly do not see him agreeing to sign such a note.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That @#@%X&! It would be just like him to do such a thing as to figure out a loop hole in the law and use it, instead of telling the truth. When I asked him about the surveillance cameras he also said it should not bother me if I wasn't doing anything illegal. That wasn't my point and he knew it. My point was it is a violation of my privacy, especially if I am on my lunch break and talking on my cellphone. This has caused me a lot of anxiety, and it is not because I have anything to hide; it is because I work very hard and do a great a job. He would have not rehired me if I didn't. That just makes me sick to my stomach. I know he has surveillance cameras because of what has happened. Thanks for your help.

Kelly,

You are most welcome. I just had one thought. How many employees does he have? If he has 15 or more, it might be arguable that this is a 'hostile work environment' that would permit you to file a complaint with the EEOC. But if he has less than that, it would be a waste of time--I just wanted to point that out as an another option.

Good luck and please be well. Sorry for the unwelcome news.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am his only employee. Thanks any way - I greatly appreciate your expert assistance.

Kelly,

You are most welcome, and good luck to you. Please be well!

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.