TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

If dumb and dumber walk into an empty bar while the bar tender

If dumb and dumber walk into an empty bar while the bar tender is in the john and dumb tells dumber to get him a beer because he thinks you only have to pay when there's a bar tender, which dumber does, has either one of them or both of them broken the law?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

It depends on why they thought they didn't have to pay? Is it a mistake of fact, or a mistake of law?

In other words, if they knew that they were taking property that did not belong to them, but they thought it was legal, then they have committed a crime because ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

On the other hand, if they did not know that they were taking property that did not belong to them because they believed that the bartender, by leaving his post, had offered the beer to anybody who entered the bar, then that is an excuse.

Does that make sense?

Please let me know if you need further clarification, as I am happy to continue assisting you. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.