Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

I just went through a divorce and the bills were divided up.

Customer Question

I just went through a divorce and the bills were divided up. I had a travel trailer at a bank and my ex-wife added her personal credit card to the list of bills I have to pay. I thought the bill was the travel trailer but found out after the divorce that it was her credit card instead. What can I do? Am I responsible for a card in just her name?

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 years ago.

Brandon M. : Hello there:
JACUSTOMER-vnm3envs- :

Brandon M. : Thank you for your question. When asking about dividing a debt awarded after a divorce judgment, there are two things that need to be considered.
Brandon M. : Hello, I see that you joined the chat. Welcome!
JACUSTOMER-vnm3envs- :

why do I have to pay a bill in her name only?

JACUSTOMER-vnm3envs- :

JACUSTOMER-vnm3envs- :

are we done?

Brandon M. : First, New Mexico is a community property state. This means that debts and assets accrued during the course of a marriage are considered to belong to the community. The title of the debt or asset is mostly irrelevant. The community is generally presumed to benefit from any expenses, so the community has to....
Brandon M. : l apologize for the delay. I can only communicate as fast as my fingers allow me to type.
Brandon M. : You gave me less than two minutes to answer. There was more information. Please let me know if you would like to continue. Thanks.