LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

1. Florida- Is it legal & necessary for a lawyer to insist

1. Florida- Is it legal & necessary for a lawyer to insist on keeping every document .BROUGHT TO him, so he can copy 1st page of every document???
I offered to pay him for 2 non-productive appointments and take my documents, but he insisted "it was necessary"
2. This same lawyer delayed helping me prepare a will, "without 1st confirming more estate information"???
3. How do I go about confirming his liscense?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. You can certainly verify he is licensed by the Florida Bar and that he has not had any complaints filed against him. You can do this at www.floridabar.org In the upper right hand corner, enter his name in the find a lawyer box. The attorney should keep a file of all the work he has done on the case. He is likely asking for a copy of these to protect his own interest in case you file a bar complaint against him. You should ask him why he wants these and why they were not asked for prior. Moreover, if you no longer want him representing you, you have no legal obligation to give him anything. It is at your discretion. If he delayed helping you prepare a will and it caused you prejudice/harm, you could also have a basis to file a complaint.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did as you suggested & can not find his name in both cities he's listed under????

Another listing for estate lawyers???

What is his name and/or bar number? it should be listed on a copy of any pleading which you have, which he filed with the court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Gregory G. Gay P.A.

5318 Balsam Street New Port Richey, FL 34652

is it true, in order to make a will, estate information is necessary???
Here he is. it says he is a member in good standing and has not had any complaints or discipline against him

http://www.floridabar.org/names.nsf/0/5FDBF0EF5DFA34B485256A8300398333?OpenDocument
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This same lawyer delayed helping me prepare a will, "without 1st confirming more estate information"???

Can you please expand on what you mean by that? has the will be prepared? Did this delay cause you any harm and what was the reason for it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Despite all the paper work I gave him, he insisted on getting more estate information, as "he needed that before preparing a will"

Is this true???

Yes, it is very possible. The attorney needs to act in your best interest and make sure everything is properly done. You are paying for a service and he need to represent you. If there was a problem, he would be responsible for it, so there is nothing wrong with needing the information if it is relevant to the will and the scope of what you retained him for.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.