Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I have a Real Estate questions. My name isXXXXX and

I have a Real Estate questions. My name isXXXXX and the lease for my house I was renting ended on Aug 1, 2013. I resided there for 3 years. As of today I have not received any letters or correspondence of any type letting me know where my security deposit is. I have emailed the Property Management folks and asked where it is or what is going on with it and the response I got back was, "I'll let you know today" which was on the Aug 21, 2013. Still no response. I do know there is a 30 day window for them to return the deposit. what would you recommend my next step be? My attempts at communicating with them have been futile at best. They are being very distant.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I happen to be Pennsylvania licensed and will try to help as much as I can.

This is frankly a most positive event. If the landlord is being 'distant' and has not sent back your deposit, consider taking them to local court and suing for both the return of the deposit plus punitive damages due to the landlord violation the Landlord Tenant Act of 1951. The common pleas court would allow you to be heard and pursue them for your losses and the refund of your deposit. I do caution you to wait for at least a few days simply because the date that governs is the post-mark--so if they sent you the check by mail, that date would show whether or not they are out of compliance. Beyond that filing against them would be the wisest option.

Good luck.