Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

hello Is there anything I can do about a recorded wrong diagnosis

Customer Question

hello
Is there anything I can do about a recorded wrong diagnosis that has caused me so much pain and losses. It happened almost two years now and it has .....
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to assist you, but need a bit more information, if you do not mind,

What do you mean by a "recorded diagnosis" ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Andrea

Thanks for responding.

I say recorded because the result was delivered word of mouth and then 'confirmed' in writing by the local doctor who was instructed by a lab in Illinois. I was wrongly diagnosed with HIV; I have crossed my 50th b'day and with a new marriage so this was a shocking blow to me; necessitated psychological counseling; we were both traumatized; husband got shingles and filed for legal separation. The matter is before the court. September 23 will be exactly two years since this has happened.

Was the incorrect diagnosis happen in Illinois or Trinidad and Tobago ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I consulted a doctor in Trinidad and Tobago who uses a lab in Illinois. The lab gave him the wrong diagnosis.

Thank you for your reply,

The Statute of Limitations for personal injury in Trinidad and Tobago is 4 years. But, the Illinois Statute of Limitations for negligence/personal injury/medical malpractice is only two years. So, if you want to sue the lab that gave the wrong diagnosis, you would have only 2 years to sue them.

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks; but I am uncertain whether I should seek an Attorney in Illinois; and whether it is permissible for an attorney in the Illinois to pursue a matter in the US for a non resident of the US. Really at this time I need to know my best option.

Thanks

An Illinois Attorney can certainly represent you in the United States, even though you are a nonresident. You probably would be better off suing in Illinois because that is where the lab can be served. I doubt very much if the Courts in Trinidad Tobago would have personal jurisdiction over the Illinois lab and personal jurisdiction would be required in order for the Court to enter a legally binding judgment against the lab.

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Andrea, thanks for your advice. As I have a time constraint; would it be possible for you to just list one or two legal firms in Illinois that I can approach?

Thanks

I cannot refer specific Attorneys by name, but I will be glad to give you the link to the Illinois Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service. It is a free service. You can call them, tell them your situation and ask for the names of several Attorneys with experience in medical malpractice litigation. You can have a 30 minute consultation for $25. Here is the link:

http://www.illinoislawyerfinder.com/find-a-lawyer

Here is the link for the Chicago Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service:

http://www.chicagobar.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Need_a_Lawyer

Best of Luck,

ANDREA