Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I told my doctor that I needed a referral to go to detox last

I told my doctor that I needed a referral to go to detox last year. She asked me if I ever drove under the influence of alcohol. I was honest & said yes that I had in the past. She then told me that she would have to report this to Mto. They immediately took my licence for that reason. When I came out of detox, I assumed that I would get my license back in the mail. I was informed that no, I had to provide a clean of alcohol blood sample. I did restart to occasionally drink again but do not drive when I drink. I have never had any charges laid in the past for drinking & driving & no other offenses since I have had my licence. My question is, can Mto hold my licence for having admitted to have drank & driven in the past.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, once a medical suspension is issued on your license, this is an administrative issue as a drivers license is considered a privilege and not a right.

You will need comply with their terms I am afraid or they will refuse to issue the license and they can legally prevent you obtaining a license in any state by placing a block on your license. I am afraid that legally they can hold the license because you had a reported substance abuse problem, not just because you admitted to drinking and driving in the past and they have to demonstrate to them there was no longer a substance abuse problem and that is why they are looking for a clean blood sample.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.