Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I have been with Anita for over 8 years. We just got married,

I have been with Anita for over 8 years. We just got married, and my daughter of 6 years has me listed on her birth certificate as bio father. Do I have to do an adoption, or can a ammended birth certificate be all that is required for her to update her last name to mine and all ssn, insurance etc? she has been going under her moms married last name since she was born ? This includes all schooling. and insurance etc?

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you,

Why was she going by her mother's previous married name ?

Pardon my asking, but are you the biological father ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anita never changed back to her madien name after her divorce. And yes I am BIO father

So, although you are listed as the biological father, your daughter's last name is XXXXX XXXXX her former husband, is that correct ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, correct.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I rate service? and what is the answer to my reply ? do I need to do an adoption or what?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I replied with yea, correct. and how do i rate service, and what is my answer do i adopt or what?

Hi, Paul, Please give me a few minutes to research your question under Illinois law and I will return in just a couple of minutes,

You will not see a "rating" button until I send my Answer to you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou, i wait. also my daughter was born in missouri.

Hi, Paul,

Since all of you live in Illinois now, it would be Illinois law that would apply. The easiest, fastest, and most practical way to have your daughter's last name be the same as yours would be to file a Petition for a Change of Name. You would not have to deal with the red tape of going through Missouri and asking anything from Missouri. The Petition for a Change of Name is XXXXX XXXXX and you could do it yourself. Here is a link that asks for basic information and then fills out the Petition for you, then all you have to do is file it with the Court, get a hearing date and the Judge signs the Order for a legal name change to your last name:

http://newlastname.org/legal-name-change

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is my understanding will not need to do any adoption?

Hi, Paul,

That is correct. No adoption will be necessary. She is already your biological daughter, the only thing that needs to be changed is her last name and that will be taken care of by the Petition for a Change of Name,

Congratulations on your marriage and I wish you my very best,

ANDREA