Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Im 63 and a private pilot. I have 1000 hours and have flown

I'm 63 and a private pilot. I have 1000 hours and have flown off and on since 1978. I don't think I can easily get my medical renewed. However I can legally fly light sport aircraft without a medical. But all my training and experience and muscle memory and reflexes are geared toward light aircraft that are heavier then light sport planes such as basic Piper Warriors and which has a control yoke and not a stick, and which is tricycle geared and not a taildtagger as are most approved LSA. My question is that if I go on flying Piper Warriors with only LSA type license what are the possible legal implications, specifically if I am discovered to be flying without a valid license, in the same way others might drive a car with an expired license...
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

The possible penalty is up to 3 years and a max of $25,000 fine for flying without a valid license.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that is the possible penalty....what is the standard penalty if there is one? People are flying heavy ultralights and overspeed LSA on a semiregular basis...are there ever prosecutions for these things?

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Yes, that is what a judge can impose if convicted. That is the maximum penalty possible

There are prosecutions if they are reported

Standard would be suspended prison time, probation and a fine not to exceed the $25,000
Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.