Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

Facing a possible wrongful death lawsuit, how can we protect

Facing a possible wrongful death lawsuit, how can we protect our home and IRA accounts. On a fixed income (social security)?

Who in the family is facing the suit? What are the assets that you are concerned about and how are they titled? Do you know why the lawyers were not concerned about protecting personal assets?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Our daughter,age 21 lives at home. under 300K in IRA assets. Can they be taken by a court judgment in civil action?

No. The IRA is exempt from creditor's claims. That's most likely why the lawyers were not concerned about it.

I hope that this information is helpful. If not, and you need further information, please do not rate this Answer and just send me a Reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be compensated for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.