Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

In Florida, if a company invoices for work done by a licensed contractor does the invoicin

In Florida, if a company invoices for work done by a licensed contractor does the invoicing company have to be licensed also?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, the answer is 'no', if the company hired or outsourced the work purely for invoicing to someone else, that company does not have to have the licensed that contractors have--for example an accounting company is not licensed as a contractor, and there is no need or obligation for the accounting company to have such limitations.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am not sure that I understand the answer based on the example given. I have a customer that needs electrical and lighting work done in thier facility. My company is not licensed in Florida but my client would like for us to bill for them for the services rendered through the energy company that we have connected them with. I need some sort of legal reference that confirms that we are not in violation of any laws by invoicing the customer and accepting thier payment

Javin,

My apologies but I misunderstood your question. I thought you asked a secondary party to do the billing, not that there was a secondary company through which you connected them to do the work. if you are not licensed in Florida but the work was done in Florida, you are not able to receive the compensation as you are not licensed in that state. I misread your question and did not realize that there were two contractors, one did the work, but the the customer wishes to pay the other party who is not licensed for the work. That is not permitted (if I am understanding you now correctly).

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.