Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law

We want to know if a court can order the builder to finish

We want to know if a court can order the builder to finish the work. We don't want to be paid wen just want the work to be finished

Hello there

I have a lot of experience in construction law cases (my husband is also a contractor). While a court can order what is called "specific performance" of a contract (meaning that they can order the builder to complete the work), it actually is quite rare because it borders on the edge of committing a company to indentured servitude on a contract that the builder will still believe is breached and there are bad feelings all around. So the courts prefer to order a payment to be made for the value of the work and tell you to hire a new contractor. It is completely up to the court whether or not to do this, but you CAN request it -- but if the contractor is dead set against it then the judge will probably not go for it and if you win the case you will receive a monetary award.

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time.. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. Pressing a positive rating below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger for Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU