Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

Thank you for the detailed answer. I just have one more concern.

Thank you for the detailed answer. I just have one more concern. The person who sold the car, was the actual owner's friend. The title was in the name of the person whom I did not meet. The owner's friend did the transaction. Do I send letters to both parties or just the legal owner? Also, I most likely have to file a suit in the small claims court, so do I sue the legal owner or both parties? Thank you
Hello again,

Legally, the seller is the person that you had the agreement with, and he is the one that has to refund your money. The friend is his agent, which means that he was authorized to sell the car on his friend's behalf. The agent isn't legally responsible for the seller's behavior because he isn't a party to the contract. So, the seller is the one that gets sued. He's also the person that legally has to be sent the letters.

Verify that the name on the title is the seller, rather than the person you met with. If it is, that is the person to go after. If all of your negotiations and discussions were with the friend and you did not learn there was another owner until later, then you would have a cause of action against the friend.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.